Kefir dates back many centuries to the shepherds of the Caucasus Mountains. They discovered that fresh milk carried in leather pouches would occasionally ferment into an effervescent beverage.In the Caucasian Mountains, legend has it that the resulting kefir “grains” (not a true grain but a combined culture of yeast and probiotic bacteria) were a gift to the people from Mohammed, who instructed them on how to use the grains. Mohammed strictly forbade them from giving away the secret of kefir preparation to other people, or pass anyone kefir grains, because they would lose their “magic strength.” This legend explains why kefir grains and the method for kefir preparation have been surrounded by mystery for so long. In fact, there is an incredible tale of intrigue starring a beautiful woman, Irina Sakharova, who stole the kefir grains from a prince of Russia, which is perhaps the only reason the world knows of kefir today.
- One sachet is enough to make 1 litre of thick creamy, extra mild in taste milk kefir and recultured many times
- Can be set at room temperature. No need of specific appliances, yogurt makers etc.
- Contains blend of live active bacteria like Lactococcus lactis ssp.cremoris, Lactococcus lactis ssp. Lactis, Lactococcus lactis ssp. Lactis biovar diacetylactis, S. thermophilus, Lactobacillus kefir, Lactobacillus parakefir, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Kluyveromyces lactis.
- Pure bacterial blend of cultures made in laboratory environment away from additives, maltodextrin, gluten and GMO. Optimises digestion, bowel movements and intestinal flora
- Extra mild in taste, suitable for healthy, probiotics rich and delicious smoothies