Milk kefir grains are a symbiotic mix of bacteria and yeasts that culture fresh milk (cow, goat, sheep) into the pleasingly tart, refreshing fermented yoghurt drink kefir (pronounced keh-fear). Kefir – a drink which tastes much like yoghurt, and can be consumed straight away or used in smoothies, pancakes, cereal or even as a leavening agent in flour, like a sourdough! – has been consumed for its beneficial effects in the North Caucasus Mountains for hundreds of years. Not only is it a good source of calcium and other minerals and vitamins, but it is also a good source of probiotic bacteria, with more probiotic strains than either shop bought kefir or kefir made from starter cultures. Notable, well-documented, probiotic strains found within kefir include many of those found in ‘Bio-Live’ yoghurt: L. acidophilus, S. thermophilus, L. helveticus, L. Casei, L. bulgaricus, and Bifidobacterium bifidum. And then some. To make kefir you need just 5 things after the grains and fresh animal milk: 1) one glass jar (though it’s always good to have one to culture in and another to store) [Note: metal should NEVER be used to culture or store kefir], 2) muslin or a clean kitchen towel to cover (and a rubber band to hold in place), 3) a jug and 4) a strainer to seperate your cultured kefir from the grains. Plus 5) a wooden or stainless steel spoon to scoop your grains back in after separating. See our Pro-U Kefir store front for starter kits & equipment if you need them. So why fresh kefir grains? Make your own delcious kefir at home immediately and INDEFINITELY. The grains are alive, they grow and reproduce and should last you a lifetime with proper care and use, no repurchasing necessary. We provide you with 1 heaped teaspoon/10grams of live milk kefir grains (enough to ferment one metric cup/250 ml of milk in 24hours) Order now to begin your kefir journey today. We despatch within 1 working day, Monday to Thursday. UK only. Once received, open immediately. Pro-U Kefir
- Culture your own delicious probiotic-rich kefir at home with Pro-U Kefir – Fresh Milk Kefir Grains
- At Pro-U Kefir, we test our starter grains to ensure they are free from common pathogens, for that extra peace of mind. And to complement this, our healthy starter grains are only grown in non-homogenized organic whole milk and are shipped 1st class the next business day to minimize stress to the grains
- Includes full instructions, ongoing help and advice, and FREE ACCESS to Pro-U Kefir’s online materials, including Info, How-Tos, FAQs, Recipes and more.
- Please note, the above is provided by Pro-U Kefir seller only. Ours are real kefir grains, not the limited use powdered cultures. Our grains are alive and will grow and reproduce indefinitely if properly cared for. No repurchase necessary.
- We provide you with 1 heaped teaspoon/10grams of fresh milk kefir grains (enough to ferment one metric cup/250 ml of milk in 24hours.) The exact amount you need to begin: neither so few that you can’t meet your daily needs, nor so many that, after the first week, as the grains reproduce, you’re swamped with more grains than you know what to do with!